When an unfortunate incident like a run-in with the law happens, it may be time to hire a criminal defense lawyer. This can be an extremely stressful time for all parties involved. Here are a few tips for hiring a Criminal Defense Law Firm Indianapolis IN.
* If any criminal charges are being presented, a lawyer should be consulted with, at the very least.
* Ask the lawyer what the charges entail and what the possible defenses can be. Most lawyers will give a free consultation to see if they want to proceed with the case or not.
* Determine what level of attorney will be needed. If the charges are filed in a state court, a lawyer that specializes in state law will be desired. If the charges are presented in a federal court, an attorney that is skilled in federal law is what will be wanted.
* Make the difference is understood between a criminal attorney and a public defender. Public defenders usually have limited time and resources to devote to any one particular case. They should only be considered by people who have limited financial abilities.
* Look for a lawyer that specializes in the charges that are being faced. For instance, if armed robbery charges are on the horizon, hiring an attorney that works on drunk driving cases may not be the best option.
* Look for a lawyer via a reputable source such as professional organizations or the State Bar. This way, it can be found if the attorney or law firm have been censured through official channels or faced any other reprimands.
* Don’t fall for the hype that is sometimes presented in commercials or other slick advertising. No attorney can guarantee any particular result, so be extremely wary of those that do. In fact, it would be best to avoid them altogether.
If the need arises for a Criminal Defense Law Firm Indianapolis IN, call a reputable and trusted attorney such as Eric L. Risk P.C. Attorney at Law or Visit Online to schedule an initial consultation. Don’t let life’s freedom rest in the hands of those who may be too inexperienced to present a great defense.