Memory impairment can be alarming. However, you should understand some of the possible causes of memory loss or impairment before jumping to conclusions. In New York, specialists are always available to help you or a loved one who is experiencing memory impairment.
1. Memory impairment can be caused by medications. Check with your New York area doctor to find out if any of the medications you are taking can have memory impairment as a side effect. Even some over the counter medications can impair your memory.
2. Alcohol or drugs. Many people in New York forget that memory impairment can be a common result of using recreational drugs or alcohol. If you drink or use drugs and have recently been experiencing memory impairment, consider limiting your intake now. Even smoking cigarettes is linked with memory impairment, so consider a smoking cessation plan now.
3. Sleep deprivation. Have you been getting enough sleep? If not, you could experience some memory impairment. If your sleep is of poor quality due to a condition like sleep apnea, then ask your doctor in New York about what you can do to improve the quality of your sleep.
4. Stress. Stress causes a number of health problems, and memory loss is one of them. Consider doing things that reduce your body’s responsiveness to stress such as yoga or meditation.
5. Injury, disease, or stroke. If you do suffer from a genetic predisposition to memory loss in old age, your memory loss could be linked to that condition. You also could have suffered from a disease or injury that could cause memory impairment, such as a stroke. Check with your doctor to find out the root cause of your memory impairment.