Cases Involving Domestic Violence in Egg Harbor Township, NJ Require Specialized Legal Help

In the state of New Jersey, violence that is considered domestic is defined as a threat or actual abuse of a person by an individual who has an intimate relationship with the victim. The abuse may be sexual, physical, economic, or emotional.

Seeking Relief for Domestic Abuse

The 1991 Prevention of Domestic Violence Act or PDVA lists 14 criminal offenses that are prohibited under the act. Some of the offenses include homicide, criminal mischief, stalking, harassment, homicide, and criminal sexual contact. Therefore, in cases involving domestic violence in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, the plaintiff represents the person who is seeking help through the PDVA. The parties in the case must have a specified relationship currently or have had one in the past.

Where to Obtain Help

To seek relief along these lines, you need to contact legal professionals such as The Law Office of Mark D. Kargman, Esquire. This area of law can become quite complex. Therefore, you need the support of a legal advocate who is knowledgeable and competent. He or she can review a number of actions that are available.

For example, victims of domestic violence can obtain a substitute address to use instead of their physical address. This address can be obtained through the Address Confidentiality Program, or ACP. Victims can also obtain a protective order. In New Jersey, this order is classified as a protection from abuse, or PFA.

Filing a Civil Lawsuit

In some instances, victims of domestic violence will file a civil lawsuit so they can obtain damages for pain and suffering or compensation for medical bills. Additionally, custody or spousal support orders may be adjusted to stop any more problems with violence between partners or children.

Take Legal Action Immediately

As you can see, you have a number of options from which to choose when it comes to seeking a remedy. Take time today to set an appointment for a legal consultation. If you are involved in a relationship that has become abusive, speak to a lawyer immediately.


    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This