Laparoscopy has been a major surgical advance, offering the opportunity for a minimally invasive diagnosis or surgery that was not previously possible. Laparoscopy in Jackson MI is done with very small incisions rather than a requiring a large abdominal incision. Frequently, the patient will not even need to spend the night in the hospital. Recovery is quick, with minimal pain.
What is Laparoscopy?
This form of surgery allows a surgeon to insert a thin, lighted tube and tiny surgical instruments into the belly through small, one-inch incisions. The surgeon is able to closely examine pelvic or abdominal organs. Laparoscopy is often used as a diagnostic procedure to find the cause of a problem that the patient is having, but can also be used to remove tumors or organs such as the uterus, ovaries or gallbladder. The tiny incisions heal much faster and are much less painful than the large incisions used in conventional surgery.
Why Would a Doctor Recommend a Laparoscopy?
There are many possible reasons for a laparoscopy to be recommended by a doctor.
* When a woman is unable to become pregnant, laparoscopy will allow a surgeon to look for fibroids, cysts, or other possible causes of fertility problems. Non-surgical infertility tests do not always reveal the cause of infertility.
* Tumors or other abnormal growths in the pelvis or belly can be located and, possibly, removed.
* Endometriosis and pelvic inflammatory disease are very painful and when other treatments are unsuccessful, laparoscopy may be able to effectively treat the condition.
* Biopsies are often required and can be precisely performed with this type of surgery.
* Laparoscopic surgery is used to remove organs such as the gallbladder and ovaries or for hysterectomies.
* It can be used to learn if cancer has spread into the abdominal area.
* Women who wish to have no further children can have a tubal ligation performed with a laparoscopy.
* If a woman is experiencing sudden pain in the pelvic area, a laparoscopy can find out what is causing the pain.
Any surgical procedure carries risks, but Laparoscopy in Jackson MI is considered safer than more radical surgical procedures. Surgeons who perform laparoscopies have received extra training in order to offer patients this choice. Women First Health Services is pleased to be able to provide this option when laparoscopy is recommended by a woman’s doctor. Contact us to learn more about laparoscopy and other creative solutions for women’s medical issues.