In America, we all love our cars. Most Americans drive almost every day, whether it’s commuting to work or driving to the store. At any given time, millions of cars are on the road, rain or shine. Unfortunately, that means that auto accidents are a constant part of everyday life. Even if you drive carefully, you can still be involved in a collision that could result in injury or a wrecked vehicle. In these cases, you usually will handle everything through your insurance, but, if you are not at fault, you should hire an auto accident lawyer.
What is an Auto Accident Lawyer?
These attorneys specialize in handling auto collision cases and know how to manage the insurance companies. Simply put, a lawyer will help make sure that everything goes in your favor in the event of a collision.
Do I need an Auto Accident Lawyer?
The short answer is: not always. Typically speaking, with collisions, there is what’s known as clarity of liability. What this means is that it’s usually pretty obvious who is at fault. Maybe someone slammed into you from behind, or ran a red light and clipped your vehicle, etc. If fault is known and there are no significant injuries, then you don’t necessarily need a lawyer. However, there are plenty of instances where an attorney can help, such as:
- If clarity of liability is not present, meaning it’s not obvious who’s at fault
- If there are serious injuries, that result in hospitalization
- If you are being offered a settlement that seems too low
- If the insurance company is offering a structured settlement (as opposed to a lump sum)
- If you don’t want to negotiate the claim or feel unable to do so
- You need to prove evidence of loss beyond physical harm (such as lost wages or psychological damage)
- If your claim is denied and you want to appeal
Overall, if you are involved in an auto accident and have any questions regarding the process or what you can expect, you don’t want to consult with the insurance company, since they only have their interests in mind. An auto accident lawyer can help in a wide variety of cases to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.