Who doesn’t love eating Mexican food? However, what many Americans consider Mexican isn’t really Mexican, it is more like a bastardized version created by American restaurants. Here are some easy ways to tell if the food being sold by hispanic food distribution in Pennsylvania is truly authentic.
- Real Mexican food is not drowned in cheese. Traditional cuisine has cheese as a regular ingredient, not as a garnishment or a tool for suffocation.
- Real tacos are not topped with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce. Only cilantro, diced onions, and a squirt of lime are allowed on a real taco.
- Speaking of tacos, they are not crunchy when served south of the border. Real tacos actually are served in corn tortillas, and ONLY corn tortillas. No white flour tortillas and definitely no lettuce wraps.
- If fajitas are on the menu, turn around and leave the restaurant. Tortillas are not only NOT Mexican, but they did not even exist before the 1960s. That’s right, fajitas are just a modern invention that somebody thought sounded good and then they were cleverly marketed to unsuspecting gringos.
- There is no such thing as Tabasco sauce in Mexico. There are really only four different types of brand-name salsa that comes in bottles in Mexico. The only other type of salsa that is acceptable is if it is homemade or made in the kitchen of the restaurant that it is being served at.
- In authentic Mexican restaurants, there will be a soup being served every weekend. The best kinds to look for are either menudo or pozole.
- No canned soda pops are ever served in a traditional restaurant. The Hispanic Food Distribution in Pennsylvania will ensure that there is plenty of Mexican bottled Coke made with real sugar and another form of drink called aguas frescas. These are fruit juices blended with sugar and water.
Get more information about authentic Mexican cuisine by clicking here. There are plenty of great options for those that want to make Mexican food the way it was meant to be made, with only fresh ingredients and authentic flavors, you really cannot go wrong.